Our first home game in what seems like years, was met with the usual early Saturday rain. Much running around, including the application of covers ensued. When I say covers, obviously I mean three little bits of plastic held down with sand bags and bricks. The important thing is that they did the job, and with the square a little damp in places, we got underway on time.

With Ian dropping himself for only averaging 107 with the bat and 5.25 with the ball, it was left to Baz to captain the day. Who importantly won the toss and decided to have a bowl… tough decision.

It was our usual opening pair with the ball, Mabbs and Ryan. Both started strong, Mabbs beating the edge a number of times before nipping one back through the gate and destroying the opener’s leg stump for the first of his two bowled dismissals.

Ryan also got two wickets, finding the glove of the other opener who could only fend one behind for me to snaffle.

Mike and Grant replaced the openers, and continued the onslaught of top bombing. Grant unable to attack the stumps enough to take a wicket, but was still economical throughout his 7 overs, only going for 21. Mike at the other end did get wickets, 4, enough for a jug! A number of stonewall LBWs and some strong catches from Baz and Dave Summersbee.

Duncan came on to grab the last two wickets, the first caught by a sleeping Timmy at short cover, the second a skier taken by Ryan at cover.

This left us needing 107 to win, from 45 overs, if it stayed dry. The umpires decided that there would be 11 overs before tea was to be taken.

Because of this, Baz made the call to open with Dave Spencer, in an aggressive role, to try and play some shots. It worked, Dave scored a quickfire 35, before being caught. He departed with the score on around 60, at tea we were on 76-1.

After tea, NiB and I knocked off the final 30 runs and we won within 15 overs. Top notch, 30 points.

Man of the match was Mike for his wickets and economy.

Champagne moment went to Baz for his catch at gully.

Pigs ear was Ryan, who felt it necessary to flash his pants whilst sliding for a ball at fine leg.

TFC quite rightly went to Chaz, who wasn’t playing, because he’d forgotten to text Ian back in the week, and then came up and scored for 45 overs. Thanks for scoring Chaz 😉

With the game finishing at 5 o’clock we could start the evenings drinking festivities early…